Andropause and Weight Gain
Hormones play a critical role in weight control. Weight gain in men can be caused by a number of factors, but the low hormones that come about as men enter andropause is one of the most common.
Remember how easy it was to stay thin when you were in your 20s? Now think about how much harder it’s gotten as you’ve gotten older. The fact that keeping weight off gets more difficult as your hormones decline is no coincidence.
Trying to address one without addressing the other is going to feel like trying to push a large rock uphill. And the more diminished your hormones, the steeper the hill.
Some Important Facts About Andropausal Weight Gain
- Hormones control metabolism, and metabolism controls the efficiency with which the body burns calories.
- Hormones directly impact muscle condition. Even when you’re asleep, every pound of muscle you have burns 35 calories per day, while each pound of fat burns just 2.
- Hormones control the desire and willingness to be active by affecting your energy level.
- Hormones regulate your moods. Deficient hormones can result in depression. In turn, depression can cause overeating, fatigue, and a lack of motivation when it comes to being physically active.
What You Can Do About Weight Gain
- Make sure your hormones—testosterone, thyroid, estrogen and DHEA—are balanced and replaced to healthy levels.
- Watch your diet, especially refined carbohydrates. Refined carbs cause the body to release excess insulin. And excess insulin signals the body to add and retain weight. Eat whole, unprocessed foods as much as possible.
- Build as much physical activity into your daily routine as possible. Physical activity burns calories and revs up your metabolism. Since you need hormones in sufficient supply to maintain a healthy energy level and elevated moods, balanced hormones will help you to stay active.
- To the extent you can, control stress. Stress causes the body to produce excess cortisol, which also signals the body to build and retain fat.
The Solution To Weight Gain In Men
We have helped thousands of men to address weight gain during andropause, and we can help you, too. We have accumulated a wealth of helpful hints that can get you back on track. And your Renew Man doctor can start you on a hormone replacement program if necessary.
We Tell All Of Our Clients The Following:
Remember to be patient. Do not try to do everything all at once. For example, we do not support using a “published diet”. Our experience has been a large change in lifestyle will usually mean a large failure. Start by fixing your hormones. Then pick out obvious and manageable pieces of the total puzzle, and work on them until they become habit. Remember, too, that everyone “falls off the wagon” from time-to-time. It is those who persist that succeed.
For more information on how you can manage your weight during andropause, please give us a call at 800-859-7511, or request a consultation through our contact form.